Welcome to Water Sensitive Urban Design South Africa. We hope that you will find the website informative and the resources useful. We hope you will join us on our quest to to transform South African settlement into settlements that “mitigate water scarcity, improve water quality, thereby protect ecosystems, through the development of water sensitive urban areas (for all) that are sustainable, resilient and adaptable to change, while simultaneously being a place where people want to live”
This website is the result of two South African Water Research Commission (WRC) projects. The first project developed guidelines for implementing Sustainable Drainage Systems (SuDS) in South Africa. The second project, which has recently been commissioned, is aimed at developing a framework for implementing Water Sensitive Urban Design (WSUD) in South Africa.
We hope you will find the website informative, and the resources useful.
WSUD SA “Blog” / News
A blog is a “journal published on the World Wide Web consisting of discrete entries (“posts”) typically displayed in reverse chronological order so the most recent post appears first (WIKI, 2012).” This website’s blog forms an integral part of our attempt to gain input and disseminate information, and best practice guidelines for Water Sensitive Urban Design (WSUD) in South Africa. The blog is not a scientific journal, but rather a place where the research team, and others, may discuss a range of topics relating to WSUD in South Africa.
Please take the time to visit the blog and comment on the articles. Also remember to sign up for the newsletter so that we can keep you updated with what is going on.
If you have a article you would like us to publish, or a issue you would like to discuss please send us a article of +-1 page and we will consider publishing it. If you have a longer article please send us the article along with the abstract and we will post the abstract and link to the article.
SA Guidelines and Policies
We attempt to keep all links up to date. If you find a error please let us know
South African SuDS/WSUD Guidelines
- Water Sensitive Urban Design (WSUD) for South Africa: Framework and guidelines *NEW
- South African Guidelines for Sustainable Drainage Systems
- Project Report and Case Studies
- SuDS Conceptual Design (Poster)
- Working SuDS into the City (Poster)
South African National Guidelines
- Guidelines for Human Settlement Planning and Design (The Red Book) Volume 1
- Guidelines for Human Settlement Planning and Design (The Red Book) Volume 2
- Municipal Infrastructure Grant Manual
City of Cape Town Stormwater Policies
- Catchment, Stormwater and River Management Strategy (2002)
- Management of Urban Stormwater Impacts Policy (2009)
- Floodplain and River Corridor Management Policy (2009)
- Urban Design Policy (2014)
City of Johannesburg